What To Bring Hunting
Hunting Gear for New Zealand Conditions
North Island Hunting
- Bring a full change of casual clothes (will not be worn hunting).
- 1 pair hunting boots (with ankle support, good gripping tread) - it can get very slick and muddy
- Gaiters or putties to exclude grass seeds and stones from boots.
- 4 pair hunting socks
- 2 pair thermal underwear
- 2 pair fleece hunting pants
- 2 fleece/wool hunting shirts
- 1 warm windproof hunting jacket
- Rain proof jacket and pants
- Hat/cap and gloves
- Personal toiletries
- Day pack/ camera/ video camera/ head lamp, flashlight and batteries/ knife/ binoculars
- Memory stick or SD card for pictures/video we take that you want to copy
Please remember that excess baggage can be expensive and is difficult to travel with so don't over pack. The internal baggage allowance within New Zealand is only 44lbs. We have a full laundry service available daily, so you will not need different clothes for every day.
There is wifi in the lodge so you can use your phone/tablet or pc to stay connected. We also have unlimited free calling to the US so you can keep in touch with home.
The majority of our time hunting is spent glassing for game so good quallity binoculars are essential. Also bring a spotting scope if you wish, guides always carry one for trophy judgment.
South Island Hunting
All above gear, but as conditions are much colder in winter (down to -20 C/ 0 F ) you will need:
- Insulated and waterproof boots
- Rain and windproof over suit to protect from bitter cold snowy conditions.
- Warm inner gloves and waterproof outer gloves.
- Snowglasses or sunglasses
- Ear and face protective hat or balaclava.
New Zealand power is 240 volts, US Power is 110 volts (we have converters available for your appliances).